It's been about 6 weeks since I've written and I think it's about time for a catch up sesh. I've been busy with 2 new projects (which means 4-6 more IRBs). Both of these are also related to TB. The more time I spend in the hospitals, the more I realize how the problem TB poses. I've seen physicians get frustrated when a child hasn't been put on the MDRTB regimen because the paperwork took 2 months to arrive even though the local health post knew the child was resistant. I've witnessed the pulmonologist try to convince a patient to hospitalize himself to start TB treatment because of drug reaction issues in the past to no avail. I've seen patients try to stop taking treatment when they only have a month or two left...TB is everywhere.
 |
| They bought, not rented, Barney & Pooh |
The Fogartys have managed to continue American traditions here while also partaking in Peruvian ones. For Halloween, there were a few parties so I went down to "Gamarra," and made a Toga. Gamarra was ridiculous. It was like the downtown LA shopping district on something illegal. Clothes and shoes were everywhere. Sellers come up to you, grab your arm, and try to get you to buy something you don't need. Anyhoo, it's an overwhelming Peruvian experience I won't repeat for a while. While Halloween is more of an American tradition semi incorporated into Peruvian culture, El Dia de la Cancion Criolla (Criolla Music Day. Criolla is a term used to describe the African, Spanish, and Andean mixes found in Peru
) is a Peruvian one celebrated on the same day so we celebrated double duty.
 |
| La Partida! Crazy |
 |
| Vivanda (market), trying Piqueos |
Hersh (friend from HS) and her co-worker Grace visited and we had an awesome time. It made me realize that I know the city and can show peeps around. It was wonderful to see a familar face. We did all the usual touristy things (lots of which I hadn't done). We had a gastronomic celebration, trying: picarrones, ceviche, papa rellena, yucca cheese balls, pisco sour, chicha morada, anticuchos, etc...The weekend they were here was the Nike 10K run, which brought over 10,000 runners to the dark streets of Lima. We dressed in highlighter yellow shirts and ran on the street to bands playing awesome music.
 |
| Colca Canyon Group! Done ;) |
 |
| Random door in alley ;) |
Last weekend I went with Mika, a fellow Fogarty to the white city of Arequipa in southern Peru. We spent a day in the city, 2 days hiking Colca Canyon, and 2 days hiking Misti. Since this is getting long and I prob already lost have of you, what I would like to brag about is Misti (the gentleman), a 19,101 ft active volcano. We woke up sore on Monday morning after our Colca trip, but we'd already committed to Misti, so we hopped an a 4WD to get to the trail. In addition to Mika and me, 2 Polish anesthesiologists and an 18 year old German girl who'd never hiked were led by our wonderful Peruvian guide, Gary. We were dropped off at 10,800 ft and hiked to base camp at 14,800 ft. As much as I like hiking, I'd never actually carried all my gear (we had mules in Huaraz), so in many ways this was a first. Let me just tell you, 5L of water weighs a ton, esp when Oxygen is scarce.
 |
| Zip Lining @ Colca |
 |
| On her way to the hospital? |
 |
| Chupe de Camarones. YUM. |
 |
| Here he [Misti] stands! |
 |
| The Pack |
On arriving at base I put on all the clothes I had, because it was freezing! After the most amazing sunset and a light din, we went to "sleep" at 9pm. Partly because of the altitude and partly because of the crazy wind, we maybe got 2 hours of sleep. I remember tossing and turning all night and feeling restless. We woke up at 1am to get ready for our 2am start for the summit. For hours, we hiked in the dark. Only the dancing lights of Arequipa city, the moons and stars, and our headlamps sparked the way. It was worth it though. Witnessing the sunrise and the city awaken was spectacular.
 |
| Lakes in the background are sweet! |
 |
| Volcano Rocks |
 |
| How the cross got up there... |
One of the anesthesiologists had pretty bad altitude sickness, so she and her husband turned back. We kept going, but our pace got slower and slower and our headaches/nausea/fatigue continued worsening. The thought of turning back didn't cross my mind though. I was pretty determined to make it. I took altitude sickness meds in Huaraz and that was 3, 500 feet lower and I remember experiencing a pounding headache then. Next time, I def will, just to feel a little more energy when I do make it to the top. I was jealous of the German girl. She had no symptoms, but she has been living in Arequipa for 18 months. Suffice it to say, we somehow made it to the 19,100 ft, and enjoyed the beautiful views. I can't wait for the next one!
 |
| Part of the view! |
 |
| Sunset | |
 |
| Sunrise | |
In 2 weeks, I'll be going home for the holidays. I'm most looking forward to my baby sister's graduation and spending xmas at home. I'm pumped and I hope I get to see some of you! Thanks for keeping in touch and sharing all the important news that comes up ;)
thanks for the update! i need to work on mine as well... so jealous that you're going home for the holidays!
ReplyDeleteSounds epic. Did you have the strength to throw the ring into the volcano at the top?
ReplyDelete