Once again, it´s been too long and I have no idea where to start! BUSY it what I´ve been, often working until 9 or 10pm and feeling like I could keep going. I´ve also been the happiest since arriving. The opportunities I´ve had to travel have been awesome, but my work in Puente Piedra with the kids was always the principal goal and has been rewarding. However, I´ll save that for the next blog post. For now, I want to focus on what I remember about Brazil before more time passes!
Before I get into the details, here are some Brazil "Facts"
- PDA while on a family lunch date is ok
- Braces are so in
- The tighter the jeans, the better, especially when worn by girls accessorized with sneakers and small, tight shirts
- Muffin tops are ok if your but looks good
- The bigger the bunda (behind), the hotter the girl (world according to Brazilian men)
- Men MUST work out in sungas (small, tight, short, fashionable speedo like shorts)
- Real men do one handed push ups on the beach in sungas
- Kids learn to shake it before they can walk
- String bikinis are for everyone
- No shirt, No shoes, Yes service

Ok now for the more serious stuff...I started making plans to visit Brazil during Carnaval since October. So far it´s my favorite country in South America because of the people (the final verdict will come after I visit Argentina in 3 weeks...eeek)! Makeda (awesome friend and classmate) headed to Brazil with me. Our first stop was at Foz de Igassu, which borders Argentina and Paraguay. I think the expression that best sums up how spectacular the falls are is what Eleanor Roosevelt said when she first saw them: ¨Poor Niagra.¨ I haven´t seen Niagra Falls, but I imagine I´d think the same. We spent the first day on the Argentinian side checking out individual, spectacular views of the falls. A few hours in, we took a zodiac boat ride across the lower falls circuit. We ended up soaked, but the rain (which came and went during our entire trip) had already started us on that track earlier. The best view was Devil's throat. The monstrosity and power make it seem like the world is tumbling into this hole. It is a powerful and difficult to describe moment--one of those that makes you feel small and part of a bigger picture.


Already fully impressed with the view of the falls, we headed to the Brazilian side the next morning. It was a shorter day, but equally impressive. In Argentina you get specific views of different points of the falls and on the Brazilian side you experience a complete view of the fall's glory. It put into perspective what we saw the previous day and was absolutely amazing. We spent the next half of the day going to a bird park and then checking out Itaipu Dam, which is one of the world's largest dams and one of the seven wonders of the architectural world. It did not live up to its promise of a spectacular light and sound show, and that is all I will say about it =)


Our next stop was Sao Paulo. It is easy to see why people call it a cement jungle. Despite the rain filled afternoons, I enjoyed our time there. It's one of those cities that grows on you with each passing day. We walked a ton checking out historic sights and the different barrios [Liberdad = Japan town & it was a favorite], trying the different types of Brazilian food [feijoada, churrasqueria, rodizia, pizza, sushi, kiloplaces , etc], walking around parks, running into dance performances on the street, and checking out the nightlife and awesome views of the never-ending skyline. Always worried about safety, I felt fine walking around. Maybe it's because I felt right at home and like we fit right in.

After a relatively uneventful overnight bus ride, we found ourselves in Rio a day or two before Carnaval. It was good, because we got to experience the city before even more crazy tourists arrived. Rio is built around the beach and and that theme dominates the atmosphere. However, unlike other beach towns, Rio has an urban, city-like edge to it. There was so much to do, from exploring ritzy Leblon cafes, trying to get a tan (almost impossible with the crazy weather we had) and people watch (ooh, the characters...) in Ipanema, relaxing in Botafogo, going out for caipiriñhas and samba in Lapa, visiting Pao de Azucar, and taking the train up to Cristo Redentor on the Corcovado for some awesome views of the city. When we weren´t busy with all those things we were partaking in the blocos and experiencing as much as Carnaval as possible. Brazillians are a lively bunch on normal days, so any excuse to party takes things to another level. I don´t think I´ve been in another country with people across all generations celebrate things as fiercly.
Like the other countries in South America Brazil has striking inequalities for its social classes. I don´t fathom how people are able to live with the high the cost of living. In my cheap Peruvian nuevo sol mentality paying in reais was like paying NY prices for not so awesome things. I couldn´t leave Brazil without visiting a favela, where the poverty is obvious, so I went on a tour of the largest (and safest) one in Rio, Rocinha. It was a great experience except for getting bitten by and having crazy reactions to fleas or something of that sort during my tour. It was rainy, but the views of Rio were some of the best I saw during my entire time. There is no order that I understood to construction of living spots in the favelas. One thing is certain: you want to make sure you are on the slumlord´s good side. If you are a part of the favela community you are safe and well-protected, because no one will want to mess with you. For example, the two best middle schools in Rio, the American and British schools are actually at the base of Rocinha...
To finish off our trip we hopped on a plane to Salvador to experience the final days of Carnaval there and visit Mike. I think Salvador was the most unlike any of the other places we visited beginning with the people. There is a heavy Afro influence and it shows in the food, music, dance, and even more relaxed ambiance. I was plenty tired by the time Salvador came around so I was glad Mike was there to be an awesome guide for us and I was happy to relax and stay put. I had some work to do at this point so I didn´t get a chance to explore Salvador (or the nearby awesome beaches I hear it has) as I wanted to, but I have a 10 year visa I have to get use of, so I´m planning on getting to know it better in the coming years =)
Chau chau for now friends. I can´t wait to tell you about my project and the darndest things the kids say! I am having a wonderful time and can´t believe I´ll be back in my lovely Cali in a few weeks. In the meantime, I'll be finishing up my research, having some awesome visitors, and knocking things off my must see/do Peru list.
No comments:
Post a Comment