Monday, March 26, 2012

First Impressions

After getting my visa, going through customs, and finding my luggage, I walked outside. As I exited, I looked at the crowd holding signs, searching for my name, and freaking out a bit inside when I realized it wasn’t there. Taxi drivers came up asking where I was going and offering me a ride, but I waited inside debating whether to exchange some money and call. However, after about 30 min, my name thankfully appeared.

Our Neighbors
I’d been getting sick in the last few days before my trip, and the flight only made it worse. I’d slept 5 hours during my 33+ hour trip here. I was exhausted, sleepy, sick, and overwhelmed. At first glance it reminded me of my time in Puente Piedra, the shanty town where I worked in Peru. I can’t help but compare my impressions with my experience in Peru. The big difference being that in Peru, no matter how crazy it got, I could communicate. Here, not understanding the language is a major change.


My Room!
As we drove to the house where I’m staying, my senses didn’t know what to make of the crowds, smells, and noise, largely dominated by honking horns. Liz, one of the Packard Pediatric Residents, showed me and Veena, the other Peds resident who arrived shortly after, around Patan. We went to Saleways, the local grocery store, and enjoyed a yummy dinner with Mary, this lady from the UK who has been coming here every year for the last decade to build a toilet in a rural school. It’s quite impressive actually. I learned that because of the toilets, girls are able to stay in school longer. They often drop out of school when they reach puberty if there aren’t bathrooms for them.

Outside the Hospital
While here, I will have to be extra careful as a pedestrian. Those of you who visited me in Peru may not believe it, but the traffic here is crazier, and it’s that much more difficult to walk. Stoplights are rare, so you really have to fight your way to cross the street, and the traffic is not afraid to run you over. So far, I’ve spent 1 day in the hospital. Families care for their children, really almost taking the place of nurses. The residents don't have work hour restrictions, but take call similar to the US (about 7 times per month). The interns are like 3rd/4th year med students. It’s very similar to the system in Latin America. I'm working in the pediatric wards now, with some outpatient clinic time. I quickly realized that this will be a shadowing experience for me. I want to learn and know what’s going on, but I realize I'm asking them to use their already limited resources on me (def makes me happy I spent my Fogarty year in a Spanish speaking country). There is no way I'd feel comfortable demanding more. I’m glad to be here and will try my best to learn from rounds and seeing pathology we don’t get in the US. Thankfully, I also designed a research project that I hope will make me able to contribute a little. I’ll be working with a Nepali resident who seems really awesome! Now, I only hope I get over this jet lag soon, as I’ve been waking up at 3:30am for the last 2 nights ;)

2 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you! Can't wait to read your updates. Miss you already!! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, good job Mar and hope you're getting much better now

    ReplyDelete